Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Being a Camp Leader

So as a high schooler who doesn't have a job, I'm  stuck with the task of being a camp leader for a myriad of many different camps. Well... really only two types of camps but the same two multiple times.

Last week, I helped the owner of my dance studio with her 3-4 year-old dance camp. This involves dancing with small children, playing with small children, and cleaning up water spilled by... you guessed it... small children. I have to clean up at least three spilled drinks during a 15 minutes snack time. Although, by the end of the week, I know which child will spill their drink, because it is always the same ones who spill their drink every day. By Friday, I just stand behind them with a roll of paper towels ready to swoop in when the inevitable happens.

This week I'm a "crew leader" at my church's VBS camp. I don't have to deal with 3-4 year-olds though so that's a plus. I'm a leader of 1st and 2nd graders and they are pretty fun. I talked about Minecraft with one kid, sang "Let It Go" with another kid, and had a water fight with... you guessed it... some more kids. They say the funniest things also. For example, we were going into drama time and we were told that the bible story being covered was about when Jesus heeled the lepers. One of the kids didn't hear the story correctly and whispered in my ear:"Jesus killed the leopards?!"

I have many more dance camps that I'm helping with this summer and I'll probably get roped into helping with others. Even though it probably doesn't seem like I don't like kids, I do. I've been around small kids my whole life and since I want to become an elementary school teacher I'll be around them for even longer.
                                                                                                            Bye-Bye
                                                                                                            XOXO Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment