Monday, February 16, 2015

Another Public School Story- Another Strange Substitute

But are there any normal substitute teachers? I have yet to have one normal one.

Last week our sub made us watch a video that was not in English, it was in RUSSIAN. So we basically did nothing that day.

But, in my history class, we had a sub that might take first place in the crazy race.

I actually had to finish a test and ended up coming in about 10 minutes after the class period started. I had a pass from my last class so I was supposed to be able to just come in, give the sub the pass, and sit down and do the assignment. That did not happen.

When I walked through the door, the sub was giving a speech about not speaking at all during class. I went up to give him my pass and when he saw it he asked what it was for. When I tried to answer him he said "NO! No talking!"

I was very confused at this point. How was I supposed to answer his question without talking? So I just went and sat down.

Let me take a moment to describe this fellow. He had on a suit with a cartoon print hoodie over it, which was at least 2 sizes too big. He had bright red glasses and was wearing a fedora. It was an odd ensemble.

About 15 minutes later he was finally done with roll and his "No talking" speech. He laid candy out on the front table and said that if everyone did their work, we could get some on the way out.

Now, I don't know about you, but everyone in my class respects and understands the power of candy, so no one talked.

Not even a peep. For once, the entire class finished the assigned work. It was amazing.

Finally, the bell rang and we left with our candy. At this point, I should add that in addition to the individually wrapped chocolates, there were Dixie cups with skittles in them "For kids that can't eat chocolate." No one took these, because who knew what was in them.

The next day, my history teacher was furious. She spent half the class talking about all the terrible things the sub did the previous day.

Kids had told her that he cussed out one student, told another kid "I don't care about your name, you're not important," and yelled at anyone who said anything. He went through her desk and moved everything around. He also wrote a letter to her about how stupid everyone was, how he couldn't believe the classes were AP and IB classes, and how everyone was on their phones the whole time. Even though the assignment was supposed to be turned in on Edmodo, which is done by phone and the teacher had told him earlier that we were supposed to be on our phones.

Let's just say that my teacher is doing everything in her power to make sure that he never subs for her again.

What's the worst substitute teacher story you have?

XOXO Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment